Thursday, February 25, 2010

I have recently had a testing in my faith financially. Even though I have fought the battle of tithing many times, it is a weakness, especially when money is tight, the bills are due and there's just not enough money to go around. It is so easy at that point to just say "God understands that my house payment is past due" and "that utility bill has been waiting to be paid". Yes, he does, but he said the "first fruits of all our increase belong to him" (Proverbs 3:9). It's not a request, it's a command and with that command comes a promise of blessing if we obey. "So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine" (Proverbs 3:10).

I knew what I was supposed to do. I knew God would provide and yet, my faith was weak. I resisted doing the right thing. I knew my fellowship with him was broken because of my sin. But God is so good, He is so faithful and He never fails. When I could resist the holy spirit's leading no longer, I yielded, and followed the leading of the holy spirit and wrote the tithe checks.

You want to know how good God is?

Three weeks ago I submitted a bid for a commercial cleaning job worth more than a thousand dollars. Because I hadn't heard from the company I had already decided that I was not going to be awarded the job. But before I could even get my tithe checks into the offering plate, I got a phone call from one of the owners of the company. Not only did she tell me that I had the job, she told me my bid was too low and that I needed to go and look at the site and submit a higher bid.
Now, you tell me. Is that just a coincidence? I don't think so. In fact, I know that it was God's plan in action! The moment I yielded to His will, he did the rest. God has proven himself to me in similar ways over and over again.

I fail often...but God never fails. Be faithful to Him and watch his plan for your life unfold and receive the blessings that He is just waiting to pour out on you.
Remember, faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain (Mat. 17:20).

Our reading today is in Exodus 35-37

Sabbath Regulations (35:1-3)
After the ten commandments came other laws for the people to obey. As we read them they were so ritualistic feeling, but God knew in his wisdom that the people would stray without such laws; after all they had already proven it, when Moses was on the mountain. They were to follow the example of our creator, work for six days and rest on the Sabbath. This law carried with it the death penalty. I would say God took this very seriously!

In previous chapters God gives Moses the instructions. In these chapters the instructions are carried out, just as God had commanded. The offerings are given, the artisans are called and the construction process begins.

Offerings for the Tabernacle (35:4-9)
Gold, silver, bronze; blue, purple, and scarlet thread, fine linen, and goats' hair, ram skins dyed red, badger skins, and acacia wood, oil, spices, onyx stones, and other stones to be used for the clothing of the priests.

Articles of the tabernacle (35:10-19)
Gifted artisans were called out of the people to create the articles for the tabernacle according to God's specifications.

The Tabernacle Offerings Presented (35:20-29)
The offerings were given with a willing heart. That is the only way they will be acceptable unto God. He will not force us to give, and giving grudgingly, instead of with a willing heart, motivated by love, yielded to Him, forfeits the blessing.

The Artisans called by God (35:30-36:1)

The People Give More than Enough (36:2-7)
The people gives so much that Moses had to command them to stop.
What a wonderful problem to have. It sounds like they learned the lesson that God is still trying to teach me.

Building the Tabernacle (36:8-37)
Here, God gives very specific instruction for the measurements of things and how they are to be constructed.

Making the Ark of the Testimony (37:1-9)
Making the Table of Showbread (37:10-16)
Making the Gold Lampstand (37:17-24)
Making the Altar of Incense (37:25-28)
Making the Anointing Oil and the Incense (37:29)

God's plan is perfect. It was for the children of Israel and it is for us.
It sounds very simple, "just obey". But life gets in the way some times.
It's hard, but, with obedience; comes blessing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment