Thursday, December 3, 2009

Okay.......no excuses this time. It's December 3rd and I have taken a pretty long hiatus from the blog. Thanksgiving, Christmas decorating, trip to the in-laws house for a couple of days and cookies, cookies, cookies!!!

I own a housecleaning business and every year I spent countless days baking cookies for all of my customers. No turkeys, no boxed candy, and no fruit baskets. Only homemade goodies will do for my clients.

This year I decided; nothing but homemade (from scratch) cookies.
I bought new cookie cookie cookbooks and everything.
I was following this one recipe book and before reading the entire recipe; decided that it sounded so good that I quadrupled the recipe. Later at baking time I read these word. "Place 4 teaspoons of cookie dough on the cookie sheet at a time and bake for 6 to 8 minutes until the edges of the cookies are brown."
I almost fainted, but then as I decided not to follow the instructions, I realized just how important that sentence was.
You see, these particular cookies are small. round, delicate cookies that have to be rolled around the handle of a wooden spoon (like a canoli) and then filled with a white chocolate mixture). If you bake too many of them at a time, they cool before you can get them rolled up. Being the hard-headed person that I am; I had to learn this the hard way. So, I spent the better part of two days spooning, baking, rolling and filling these cookies. Then, as if that wasn't enough time consumed; I decided to tie tiny green and red ribbons around them. Well, all I can say is, they had better taste good!!!

Really, I do enjoy the baking, packaging and giving of these treats.
Last year one of my customers called me after she got home and found her tin filled with all her favorites. She said, "thank you so much for the yummy cookies; Devin and I were talking about it on our way home. We discussed which of the cookies were our favorites and how delicious they all are, and that we hoped you had left them again this year." Devin is her 7 year old daughter.
Those are the kinds of things that make it worthwhile to put the effort into it.
It's fun to make other people's holiday just a little more special.

I wanted to update you all on a couple of the prayer requests I have give you recently. Derick Robinson, is being moved into a private room (he's the one with the brain stem tumor) I still haven't heard about the possibility that part of it was malignant. So keep praying, his little boy was back in AWANA last night and telling us how much better his daddy is doing. The other friend, who feared she might have cancer on her tongue found out that hers was not malignant. Praise the Lord for His goodness!! He is so much better to us than we deserve.

As we approach this holiday season, I want to encourage you all to reach out, get outside your comfort zone and do something special for someone this year.
It is after all what Christmas is all about.

Christ gave His everything; we should be following His example.
Celebrate Christ this year by giving to others. You don't have to spend several days baking, or make a long trip. Tie a ribbon around a candy cane and give them to the bank tellers who serve you at the window, or bake a small batch of cookies and give to another person who serves you in some other way. Add a little extra tip for the waitress the next time she serves you.

At the very least, don't neglect to say Merry Christmas to all of them.
I know what the world is trying to do by eliminating Christ from Christmas, don't let them do this to us. Those who claim the name of Christ, should be proclaiming Him to everyone we meet.

Celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.....be Christians....(little Christs).
Let others see the joy of Him in us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment