Friday, January 1, 2010

Well, it's here...the first day of the real journey. The reason I began this blog to start with. I have reached an important decision. I am going to blog through a chronological Bible. Sounds interesting; doesn't it?

I've never even read a chronological Bible. But, here we go. I am told by Nelson; the theologian whose chronological study Bible I have chosen to use, that there are a couple of things to note...
* Many of the Psalms are included with the readings for historical books, because they were written at the time of those events.
* Likewise, the writings of the prophets are included with the contemporary historical events.
* Job is put right after Genesis because Job lived during the time of Abraham.
Not too many people know this.

So, here we go. Today id day one and the reading for today is from Genesis 1,2.
I am praying that we will all enjoy the journey. But this is a very personal commitment for me. I have set several goals to achieve during the study.
I want to complete a long term task (this certainly fits the bill).
I want to see God work in my life, I want to go deeper into understanding and appreciating His magnificent, inspired, holy word and I have a desire to see others develop a deep love and understanding of God's word and grow in their relationship with him.

If you have any of these desires; please walk with me this year through this exciting journey. I am not going to force myself to come up with dialogue just because the blog is here. I will be praying for the Lord's guidance and I have asked Him to give me the words he wants me to pass on to my fellow travelers.

I also want to encourage you all to make comments as we travel. I would love a good dialogue during the study. Thank you all for joining me....May God richly bless you as you discover the truths of His word!

Genesis chapters one & two: The Story of Creation

*If you are among those who do not believe that God created everything as He says He did in these two chapters, then you might as well stop right here. The fact that God created everything is the very foundation of Christianity. Without God being (in the beginning) and being the omnipotent creator, many are sucked into the ridiculous belief that millions of years ago things "just happened" The next logical place for that train of thought to go is; "Why do we need God?" or "There is no God!" Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Without creation and the obvious power of God, there is no need for Him or His power in our lives, this is why so many people do not recognize God today. The philosophy that man is self-sufficient and continues to become more like God or is actually becoming a God, has damned a lot of good people to a life of searching and never finding the loving God who created and sustains the earth and all it's inhabitants.

As I read these two chapters I observed:

*1:1 - In the beginning (God created) everything!
*1:3 - Then God said (He spoke creation) until day 4 when the Bible says
*1:16 - God made (with His hands) Sun, Moon & Stars-sounds more personal doesn't it.
*1:26 - God crowned His beautiful creation with man (the creation-by hand-of Adam)
The only creation that the Bible says was created "in our image" with a body, soul and spirit which was breathed into mans nostrils...what a loving, personal, description of God's love for man.
*1:28 - God's first directions given to man "God blessed them (His creation) and said to them, be fruitful and multiply"

*2:1 - Creation (the Bible states that it was finished) My thought was, Wait a minute, where's Eve????
*2:2 - God rested on the seventh day
*2:3 - God blessed the 7th day,sanctified it, as a day of rest (a great example for us)
*2:4 - Here is the explanation for Eve. This verse says "this is the history of the creation"
In other words the writer has just "rehashed" creation and summarized it for us.
*2:8 - God planted a garden "in Eden" and put man there to tend the garden.
*2:9 - God explains the two trees in the center of the garden to Adam
*2:17 - God's first command to man which included a warning and the consequences for
man's disobedience to the command.
*2:19 - God brought all the creatures to Adam to be named, because of this it seems
that Adam realizes that he is the only creation without a mate.
*2:22 - God created woman / from Adams rib and gave her to him for a mate. (they were naked and not ashamed) Why is this important? I think that will be made clear in the next chapter....see you tomorrow.

Please send me any comments that you may have!!

Before I sign off today: please pray for a friend of ours (David Stone)
We were just informed that his ex-wife died in her sleep on New Year's Eve.
They have a three year old who is in my AWANA class on Wednesday nights at church.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment