Thursday, January 28, 2010

Exodus 14-17

When we last looked at Exodus, Pharaoh had continued to pridefully harden his heart against God and his people. Finally, after the death of the firstborn of every household in Egypt, he agreed to let the children of Israel go free. Shortly after that decision, he realizes that he has just let a huge work force slip through his fingers. So beginning with chapter 14, we will begin to see the law that is set forth by God for his chosen people concerning the things that had happened to them in Egypt.
God has a tendency to ask his people to remember his mercy and grace toward them through religious ceremonies and acts of worship. We see the beginning of these things in chapter 13, with the consecration of the firstborn and the feast of Unleavened Bread, and toward the end of chapter 13, God pronounces the law of the firstborn.

The Red Sea Crossing: (Ex. 14:1-31)
Can you imagine the fear these people must have been feeling? But, in my mind, it begs a question. "Why?" Had they not already experienced the deliverance of God? Yet they doubted! Sounds a lot like us today. Time after time God in His mercy delivers us from situations which we fear we can never get ourselves out of. And yet, when we are called to have faith again in Him, we crumble under the pressure. God is so good, he loves us, and he calls us to exhibit our faith in him when we face uncertain times. We would be so much better off if we only trusted Him fully.
And so it is in the lives of God's chosen people, He proves himself over and over again. He opens the sea, so that they walk across on dry land, and then closes it in order to destroy their enemies Exodus 14:13- ""Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today." What a mighty God we serve!!!


The Song of Moses: (Ex. 15:1-19) (praises are lifted to the Lord)
The Song of Miriam: (Ex. 15:20-21) (praises are lifted to the Lord)
Bitter Waters Made Sweet (Ex. 15:22-27) God does another miracle for His people
Bread From Heaven: (Ex. 16:1-36) God feeds His children


Water From the Rock: (Ex.17:1-7)
Victory over the Amalekites: (Ex. 17:7-16)


No matter the situation, and no matter our weakness, God is always prepared to lead us in the way we need to go. We are asked only to have faith and be willing to follow.
This portion of scripture causes me to remember how often I myself have failed to do what God had expressly laid on my heart to do.

I had gone from January until May through my little box of tithe envelopes. I had gotten into the habit of putting the unused envelopes in the back of the box in the order of their date. I had divided the two sections of envelopes with a bright pink piece of paper so that I could easily see how many there were in each section. As the months passed, there were more envelopes in the back section than the front. I felt like it was hopeless to even try to catch up. Where would the money come from, how could I possibly come up with it in such a short amount of time.

I began to feel guilty about not being faithful to tithe. So, I began to pray. "Lord, please help me to spend my money more wisely so that I will be able to tithe regularly. At that point, I made a promise to the Lord that I would use every envelope by the end of the year. So, week after week, I refused to purchase anything that we did not really need. I sacrificed the trips to Starbucks, dinner out and the occasional movie. Before too long I was able to put two tithe envelopes in the offering at a time. I was so excited to see what God was doing. I got a very rare refund from GA. Power, my water bill suddenly shrunk and I was blessed with a new cleaning account for my business. To my wonderment and delight, by the end of the year, I had used every envelope in the box. I had witnessed a wonderful, life changing example of God at work in the life of one who was willing to have faith and follow the Lord's leadership. That is a lesson I will never forget...God is faithful, when we are.Bold

No comments:

Post a Comment