Thursday, October 15, 2009

I woke up this morning thinking about my brothers. I grew up with four brothers and no sisters. I was sandwiched in between two older and two younger brothers. I always felt so lucky, even though there were no girls in my family and strangely enough I grew up in a small neighborhood where there were no girls, at least none close enough to my age for me to pal around with.
I remember many days of cowboys and Indians, climbing trees and running full throttle trying my best to keep up with them and even one-up them.

I didn't really understand then what God was doing. But I married into a family of great athletes. My mother-in-law has been an excellent athlete her entire life. She was an all star softball player, and has told me many stories of bowling with a sixteen lb. ball to within only a few weeks of delivering her children. As far as I know she's the only one in the family to have gotten a hole in one, even though the entire family has played golf for years. My husband grew up playing baseball and golf. He taught our boys to play and coached them through high school and one of them even into college. One of the first gifts my husband bought me after our marriage was a cheap set of golf clubs so that I could accompany the rest of the family on the golf excursions. So the fact that I was a tom boy growing up and had a leg up on understanding the male psyche has been a real asset to me throughout my 34 years of marriage.

I spoke to three of my brothers today, to let them know that I was thinking about them and that I love them. I will keep trying to reach #4 tomorrow.

My oldest brother, David, is a craftsman.
He builds furniture, much of which has been fashioned out of old barn wood, old doors, and old windows that have been removed from houses being demolished. He is so creative and just has an eye for design and color. He has built a good business for himself through his talent.

My next older brother, Darrell, is also very tallented. His talent is not only in the area of building and carpentry, but also, drawing and painting and he is wonderful with computer animation, music and graphics. Darrell is the one who was able to spend time with my mom after her stroke, and especially with my dad following her death. Thank you Darrell for your sacrificial heart and the love you showered on mom and dad during those last four years of their lives.

My brother who is closest to my age Doug, who is 11 months younger than me is an associate pastor and school administrator in California. He is also very talented in the building area, is brilliant with computers and is a very creative writer. He wrote some beautiful things about our mother to share at her funeral.

Do you see a theme developing here? Creativity runs very deeply in this family!!

My youngest brother, Danny, is a landscaper. He is creative in a different way.
I once saw pictures of some of the beautiful landscapes his company did. He is also a car buff. Enjoys messing around with cars with some of his friends. I think I heard some rumblings about "racing"!!!

And as for myself, I got a huge dose of creativity, which came for the most part, from my mom. I love to cook. I sew a lot. I love to paint. My mom taught me to do all of these things and so much more. I am grateful for that everyday.

Both of my parents taught all of us kids the value of working hard (three of us own our own businesses). They also taught us that we are priviledged to live in America, to be good citizens and to be responsible in our actions.

Last, but certainly not least, they taught us the importance of trusting God (all five of us grew up in the church and began our relationships with Christ at an early age) one of my brothers, as I stated earlier is an associate pastor and I have always had some sort of ministry in the service of my Savior.

I am thrilled that God gave Don and I the privilge of passing this heritage down to our own three children and Lord willing, if the kids will hurry and give me some grandchildren, we will have the honor of passing it to yet another generation. I can't wait!!!!

1 comment: