I would like to welcome new readers.
Hi, Amanda, Aaron and A.J!!
Thanks for a wonderful day at your house today.
See you Wednesday at AWANA.
I was working with one of my close friends yesterday and she was relaying a story about her 8 year old. I guess she and her three boys, 8, 14 and 20 years of age, had a discussion about the kind of syrup they liked best on their pancakes.
They decided that Aunt Jemimah was the only brand they really liked.
So they asked their mom to be sure and purchase only Aunt Jemimah.
Last Monday when the kids were out of school, she was making pancakes for the boys and as the eight year old poured the Aunt Jemimah syrup on his stack, he commented on how much he loved "Old Aunt Jemimah".
Suddenly he looked up from his plate and said "Oh, no!!" His mom said "what is it Chad?" He said, with a very worried look on his face, "Mom, I was just wondering, what are we gonna do for syrup when old Aunt Jemimah dies?"
His mom snickered and said, "Well Chad, it won't be a problem because Aunt Jemimah left very specific instructions in her will, that if anything happens to her, her family will be sure to always provide the same wonderful syrup for little boys like you."
I started to think how often people, even those a lot older than eight, get so wrapped up in fantasy that they lose out on the present reality.
Grown ups spending hours in front of the TV, playing video games as if their lives depending on a victory. Spending hours and a lot of money on gas, and food for tale gating to go to a football game in another state, but seem to be too tired to get out of bed on Sunday mornings (or perhaps to hung over) to be in the house of God. People spending hours on line, just wasting time and accomplishing nothing really worthwhile.
We really have some problems with proper priority in our lives.
I wonder how many hours a day we waste on unproductive things, when we could be making a difference in someones life. I am trying to reach out and make a difference in the lives of those around me, I'm really sorry that I waited until I was fifty something to make it one of my priorities......
Do yourself a favor, start today with something small...but do it!!
Try smiling at people that you pass on the street. Introduce yourself to the new guy at work who probably needs a friend in the new environment.
I started doing something a couple of weeks ago. When I drive through the bank I put a lollipop with my checks and deposit slip. I get lots of nice comments and smiles from people who are serving me.
It really is easy to make a difference. Try it, it pays dividends!!!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment